The following is a list of recommended geocaches located on the Avalon Peninsula.
The caches are sorted by location rather than geocache type due to their geographical dispersion. The list contains both caches that we feel are interesting and also highlights locations popular with local geocachers and/or tourists.
Bell Island (Ferry Service required…)
- NaGeira’s Treasure (GC6EDE) – what a treasure hunt!
- Old Cemetary Cache (GC1W7G6) -very old graveyard, with some interesting headstones
- Brigus Tunnel (GC26KPT) – Go for the Blueberry Crisp! Brigus is such a quaint and picturesque little town, you will not regret going here
- Extreme East (GCWJZ3) – the most easterly cache in all of North America
Conception Bay South
- King of the Hill (GC377NM) – exceptional view of Conception Bay
- Road to Paddy’s Pond: Just Past The Ranch (GC33D4Z) – a unique cache hide and part of a long series on this road
East Coast Trail, Logy Bay
- The Lookout: First Ever Cache in Newfoundland (GCE1C) – it’s the first, what else do I need to say? You’ll need to hike the East Coast Trail for this one.
- Lighthouse 1 (GC37AE5) – The first in a series of caches at the Ferryland Lighthouse, be sure to stop in for a picnic during the summer season!
- The road to the Southern Shore is The Broylers territory, and they’re always more than willing to help out a fellow cacher.
LaManche Provincial Park
- Panoramic Shot (GCNTC5) – a 5/5 cache with an excellent view at the finish, significant hiking with little to no trail, you’ve been warned
- The Old Homestead (GCG7T1) – a cache in the Old LaManche village, complete with a suspension bridge. Very interesting part of the East Coast Trail!
- During the camping season, Da Bys works within the provincial park, be sure to get in touch with them!
Portugal Cove/St. Philips
- Bell-a-Vista (GC1BB1) – A short hike which ends with a magnificent view of Conception Bay and all it has to offer.
- Firestone (GC365NF) – a unique natural occurence!
- One Sweet World (GC1XWZD) – one of our favorite places, such a magnificent view!
- For a list of caches within the St. John’s area, go here.
Trans Canada Highway, Paddy’s Pond
- Into The Wild (GC1QKPZ) – have you seen the movie? Enjoy the journey!